Places of Interest -
Little India stretches
from Rochor Canal to Lavendar Street. While early Indians resided
in Chulia Street near Chinatown, most of them resettled to the
present Little India because of the introduction of cattle rearing
on the fertile land of Rochor River. Immigrants from Madras, Calcutta
and Malaya joined them soon after. Today, Little India is the
emotional and commercial center of the local Indian community.
The best time to visit Little India is in the early morning when
you can enjoy the spicy aromas, the colorful traditions, the strains
of sitar music and colorful garlands being made. Don't miss the
vibrant Indian-inspired murals painted by Singaporean youths next
to Sri Veeramakalimman Temple. To see Little India at its vibrant
best then you should visit between 6pm-9pm on a Sunday evening
but be ready for a crush!
dates back to 1819, when Sir Stamford Raffles founded Singapore.
The Chinese, who Raffles anticipated would compose the single
largest group, were given the entire area southwest of the Singapore
River. The Hokkiens concentrated their trading efforts along Telok
Ayer Street, China Street and Chulia Street. The Teochews continued
their farmer-fishermen tradition, occupying Circular Road and
South Bridge Road (near present-day Boat Quay). The Cantonese,
traditionally goldsmiths, tailors and restaurateurs, constructed
their shop-houses along Temple Street, Pagoda Street and Mosque
Street. Today, Chinatown is the venue of lovingly conserved buildings,
century-old beliefs and intriguing contrasts. For instance, Singapore's
oldest Hindu temple is right smack in the middle of Chinatown.
materials, semi-precious stones, basketware, accessories for a
pilgrimage, natural oils and perfumes abound in this area, that
got its name from the Glam trees that once grew here. Medicinal
oil was extracted from the tree and its bark used by the Buginese
and Malays to caulk their boats.
in 1928 the Sultan Mosque is one of the best examples of Muslim
architecture and is in the city of Singapore in North bridge Street.
It was built with the contributions of many from the Muslim community,
that included the rim of glass bottle bases that can be seen at
the edge of the dome.
The museum highlights
important socio-political-economic developments throughout Chinese
history, and houses the best examples of Chinese furniture, ceramics,
jade and works of art.
The museum houses
modern and tranditional art from Singapore and Southeast Asia
and is housed in the former St. Joseph's institution that was
originally the first all boys school in Singapore built by French
Catholic priest-acrhitects. One attraction within this building
is the E-mage Gallery featuring interactive programmes involving
20th century Southeast Asian art on large high definition
The museum traces
the heritage of the people of Singpaore. This highlights trends
and developments that have moulded the way of life in Singapore
starting back in the 14th century featuring the ethnic
and religious diversification along with the struggle for the
establishment of the identification of Singapore as a nation.
Included within the bounds of the museum is a walk within through
an early 20th century Peranakan house that would be
the typical habitat of the Nonyas and Babas. The early Chinese
immigrants intermarried with the local malay women from which
evolved a unique culture, language, cuisine.
The island derived
its name from the word 'Zubin' that means granite. The island
is still in a semi-wild state, the graniet quarries, prawn farms,
villages and lush vegetation starkly contrast this island from
Known as the isle
of peace and tranquility Sentosa is the beach resort of Singapore,
a stark contrast to the frantic hubbub of Singapore. The isalnd
contains many attractions such as Images of Singapore (a series
of diorams depicting life in early Singapore, the surrender of
the japanese and other festivals and customs), Underwater World,
Fort Siloso (an epitaph to World War 2 and the defence of Singapore),
Merlion Tower, and the Musical Fountain.
hotel has been restored to its 1920's grandeur and is renowned
for its charm and elegance. It was one of the first 20 bungalow
houses to be built along Beach Road and is Singapore's oldest
hotel. In its time it has played host to many famous celebrities
and writers including Somerset Maugham and Joseph Conrad. There
is also a free museum, The Raffles Museum, that has the hotel's
memorabilia from its start on display.
hotel stands on a hillock and is obe of the landmarks on Scotts
Road, originally constructed in 1900. Renowned as the Teutonia
Club for the German community in Singapore, it was modelled after
the castles along the River Rhine. When World War 1 broke out
in 1914 the club was seized as "enemy property". It
was sunsequently auctioned off in 1918 and three Jewish brothers,
the Manaesseh brothers, became its owners. Then during World War
II, during the Japanese occupation of Singapore, the hotel was
converted into a residence for high-ranking Japanese officers.
After the war it was used as a British war crimes court before
it was returned to vivian Bath, a Manasseh descendant, in 1947.
During the 1960s the hotel saw rapid expansion, and air-conditioned
wine cellar was added and the hotel's distinctive tower block
received a new pinnacle in 1977. In 1989, the historic tower of
the Goodwood Park Hotel was gazetted a national monument.
Fullerton previously occupied the site on which The Fullerton
Hotel now stands. Named after Sir Robert Fullerton, the first
governor of the Straits Settlement of Singapore, it was built
in 1829, to defend the town at the mouth of the Singapore River.
The Fullerton building was designed by the Shanghai based architectural
firm of Keys & Dowdeswel and built in 1928. It was then the
largest building in Singapore, costing over four million Singaporian
dollars. On the top of the building is the original lighthouse
used to guide mariner's into the harbour. The hotel became the
centre of Singapore's commercial, social and official life. At
one time it housed three of Singapore's more important institutions;
the General Post Office, the Singapore Town Club and the Chamber
centre houses an interactive account of Singapore's history and
its technological endeavours. there are virtual reality games
and iWERKS Theatre that contains a 5-storey high giant screen
with a 3-D capability. There is a shooting gallery and a 6-DOF
(degree of Freedom) motion simulator as well as several interactive
banks of the Singapore River originally housed the the first immigrants
to the island. Here Singapore was transformed from a fishing village
into a major seaport. It was at Raffles Quay that Sir Stamford
Raffles landed and founded Singapore in 1819 from this stat Singapore's
rise to riches began. Here can be found Parliament House, the
oldest mosque on the Island, Omar Kampong Melaka Mosque and the
Taoist Tan Si Chong Su temple.
the Geyland area of Singapore is the Malay Village, a recreation
of the village lifestyle of Singapore Malays in the 1950s. It
reflects the lifestyle of the kampung including traditional activities
such as batik and kite-making, and various kampung games.
Balm Gardens (Haw Par Villa)
gardens allow you to enter the mythical world of ancient Chinese
legend with dragons and demons included. One of the most notable
scenes is the Ten Courts of Hell depicting figures in a chilling
tale of death and rebirth. The gardens were built in them 1930's.
World War II
was the bomb-proof World War 2 bunker where Lieutent-General Percival
made the decision to surrender to the
invading Japanese on 15th February 1942. The bunker is now
a museum containing robotic wax figures and virtual reality viewing
of the actual footage of the events that led up to the surrender
Siloso on Sentosa
fort is Singapore's only preserved fort that affords visitors
the chance to re-live the Fort's history from its humble beginnings
to its role in the
fierce battle for Singapore in 1942. The fortress has been
modified to provide a sensory adventure of the life of a recruit,
complete with the sounds of costal guns, and Assualt Course, was
games, tunnels and soldiers.
off Woodlands, in the northern section of Singapore, the Kranji
War Cemetery including the Singapore Memorial is the final
resting place of thousands of Allied troops who died throughout
Southeast Asia during World War 2. The cemetery is maintained
by the Commonwealth
War Graves Commision. A register containing the names of deceased
soldiers is available. Kranji is also the resting place for past
the prison that housed many of the Allied prisoners of war the
prison has now been upgraded to a museum memorial.
The MRT/LRT covers
a large part of Singapore and maps can be obtained from any of the
stations along the line. Various types of ticket are available but
for single trips ensure you have enough correct loose change to
buy the necessary ticket. Alternatively Singapore is served by superb
bus system again ensure that you have the correct loose change before
boarding. Other than these forms of transport you can always use
a taxi, just find a taxi stop and stand and wait.